Green Cleaning is cheap and easy
Forget about all those nasty chemicals the adverts try to sell you. All you need to get your home clean is white spirit vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, and microfibre cloths.
Microfibre cloths can be used to clean all manner of things. They will pick up bacteria and germs without the need for chemicals. Used dry they will pick up dust. Buy a few in different colours and keep them for seperate tasks. Along side your cloths you can use vinegar or bicarbonate of soda
White vinegar can be used to…
- clean your toilet (a cupful poured in and left overnight will ensure a sparkling loo the next day with just the use of a loo brush). If your toilet has a lot of limescale then use more vinegar. You can find 5L plastic containers of white vinegar for under £3.
- clean your taps, sink and bath. I fill a spray bottle with vinegar so I can direct it to the right spot. This will remove limescale and help shift dirt then clean with your microfibre cloth.
- clean your kettle. If you live in a hardwater area you will know what I’m talking about. Use one third vinegar, two thirds water to fill your kettle. Boil the kettle and listen to the fizz! Once the limescale is dissolved you will need to empty the kettle and boil it a couple more times with fresh water to get rid of the vinegar smell. Alternatively use Bicarbonate of soda.
- clean windows. spray window with a fine mist. Then wide with a microfibre cloth or sheets of newspaper scrunched up.
- eliminate nasty smells. After cleaning spray a fine mist of vinegar to an area that smells. I’ve used effectively in the garden to help stop cats spraying in the same place.
Bicarbonate of soda can be used to…
- Clean your kettle. Use about about 3 desert spoons and fill the kettle with water. Rinse the kettle thoroughly afterwards.
- Freshen carpets. Sprinkle finely over your already vacuumed carpets (try a test patch first to ensure colourfastness) brush in, leave for 10 minutes or so and vacuum up.
- Clean your teeth. If you are out of toothpaste or want a really fresh feel. I’m not sure whether its recommended to use it too often as it is abrasive.
This list is not exhaustive and you will probably know or find other uses for them. Do let me know.